License Info

Licenses Available
from NJ Fish and Wildlife 2015

Scott's Bait and Tackle
is NOT a license agent - WE DO NOT SELL LICENSES
This page is just for customer reference.

Where to Buy Licenses?

You can obtain fishing, clamming or crabpot licenses via the states website online:
  • Purchase licenses, stamps, and/or permits.
  • Reprint a license you previously obtained using this site.
  • Purchase a duplicate license you purchased at a license agent/DFW office.
  • Sign up for a hunter education class or change your class enrollment.
  • Submit a NJ Child Support Certification without purchasing a license.
  • Purchase your Waterfowl Harvest Information Program (HIP) Certification.
  • Submit permit lottery applications or modify an existing application.
  • Check on the status of a previously submitted lottery application.
  • Update your address/personal information.
  • You can also obtain hunting licenses/permits through the online website if you have purchased via their new system previously at a license agent.
    All Hunting Licenses <=== See Hunting info

Hunting/Fishing/Shellfish licences can also be obtained locally via: If you are not local, see NJ Fish and Wildlife website to find the license agent nearest your location:


Anglers Must Register In NJ Or Face Fines Of Up To $3,000

According to the state DEP website:


Individual saltwater anglers ages 16 and older MUST register if ANY of the following criteria are met:
  • Recreationally fish with a hand line or rod and line, spearfish or fish by hand
  • Recreationally fish in the marine and fresh tidal waters of the State of New Jersey
  • Recreationally fish in marine waters outside the State of New Jersey but land the catch in New Jersey

Even if you have the federal registry card, you STILL NEED the new State Registry card.

Please visit the following links for more information.

At this time, registration is FREE and can only be done ONLINE. There is no phone number to call to complete the registration.


Licenses are valid for: 
NJ Resident--January 1 to December 31, 2015
Non-Resident-- June 1 to Sept. 30, 2015
Senior Shellfish Anyone age 62+ can apply for this license, the fee is $2.00. We have the application for the senior license at the store, so you can pick one up and mail it in to Nacote Creek. Or you can print out the application: Click here to load application file (.pdf file: Adobe Acrobat Reader needed)
See: Clamming Reglutions For detailed information on laws and restrictions

Shellfish License information
A clamming license is now called a shellfish license and is required for harvesting of all speciees of benthic mollusks (with the exception of conchs, addressed in the commercial marine fisheries regulations), including, but not limited to, hard and soft clams, surf clams, oysters, bay scallops and mussels. Other specific commercial shellfish licenses exist such as surf clam dredge, Delaware Bay oyster drege boat, and Delaware Bay license to harviest in Areas 1, 2 and 3.

Prior to harvesting any shellfish, be certain to consult the Shellfish Growing Water Classification Charts published by DEP's Bureau of Marine Water Monitoring, available at any shellfish license agent, state shellfish offices, marine police station, online at http://www.nj.gove/dep/bmw/waterclass.htm or call the Bureau of Marine Water Monitoring at 609-748-2000. Licenses available for purchase online:

Licenses are valid for: 
NJ Resident/Non-Resident Season--Date of Purchase to December 31, 2015
Non-Resident/Vacation 7 Day--for dates specified at time of purchase.
Non-Resident/2 Day--for dates specified at time of purchase.
Basic requirements: License must be worn in a conspicuous place on the outer clothing while engaged in fishing, and must be exhibited to law enforcement personnel on request. Anyone age 16 or above must have a valid license to fish the fresh waters of NJ with hand line, rod and line, or longbow and arrow. This includes privately owned lakes and other waters. Anyone under age 16 does not require a fishing license. Proof of age may be required in the form of a birth certificate. Anyone age 70 or older is no longer required to purchase a license or a trout stamp: proof of age may be supplied to any inquiring law enforcement officer in the form of a drivers license.
Residency:  It is unlawful for any person to obtain a resident license unless they have actually lived in this state for 6 months immediately prior to the time of application. Drivers license or voters registration card may be used as proof of residency. Ownership of property in NJ does NOT constitute residency.
TROUT STAMP:  No person between the ages of 16 and 69 shall take, attempt to take, or kill trout without a valid fishing license and trout stamp.

Additional information on freshwater fishing: 
can be found in the NJ freshwater fishing digest. Be aware that seasons/regulations for catching/keeping various fish change from area to area. If you are planning to fish in fresh waters, obtain the freshwater fishing digest as soon as possible. These regulations are published each year and are available at no charge.
You can also view these regulations in our Freshwater section

Lost Licenses:
Replacements for lost licenses may be obtained from all law enforcement regional offices, the Pequest Trout Hatchery and Natural Resource Education Center, and the division's Trenton office. Each license is issue with a duplicate copy/receipt--please be sure to keep this copy in a safe place, separate from the actual license, as it is required to obtain a replacement for your license. Replacement licenses are $2.00. Trout stamps are not replaceable, and have to be re-purchased. Licenses must be re-purchased if both license and receipt copy are lost.
Definition of "Anadromous Species" related to the Federal Registry Requirement:
Many types of fish migrate on a regular basis, some on a daily basis, others annual, and over distances ranging from a few yards to thousands of miles. Fish usually migrate because of diet or to spawn, although in some cases the reason for migration is unknown.

Anadromous fish live in the ocean primarily, and breed/spawn in fresh water. Examples of these found in NJ are Striped Bass, Shad, River Herring. As of 2012, fishing inshore state waters for these types of fish species will require registration in the federal registry. ANY fishing in federal waters 3+ miles will require registration as well (exceptions being anglers fishing on federally licenced party or chart boats, anglers already holding Highly Migratory Species angler permits, and anglers under 16 years of age)

"State tidal waters" includes is any tidal waters - from the ocean front all the way up to the freshwater line in the rivers.